Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Resisting the Procedure

I got a call while I was at lunch today.  My blood tests came back positive for insulin resistance.  I told you in an earlier post that I was going to see my doctor last week.  When I met with her I shared my concern with not being able to lose weight and, based on many symptoms, mentioned that I was curious whether or not I might have PCOS; she listened.  She agreed that I probably do have PCOS and ordered a blood test to check for insulin resistance (one of the major signs of the disease).

Besides ordering the test we talked about weight loss.  She told me that it was going to be very difficult because my body is resisting the change.  We discussed a very, very, low carb diet and she said she would give me some numbers for weight loss doctors.  I thanked her, got the numbers and left.  When I called the numbers, I discovered that she had only given me the names of bariatric surgeons.  That was VERY disappointing.

This is the same doctor who recommended surgery last year.  I have definitely spent some time thinking about this option.  While it sounds like a fast way to lose weight, I can't bring myself to do it.  It is a major surgery and life altering in unpleasant ways (not to mention people often gain the weight back).  Additionally, I want to find out if we can tackle the REASON behind my weight gain (as I remain certain that it isn't entirely diet/exercise related). 

What is most irritating to me is that, when I research both PCOS and insulin resistance, I find that obesity is listed as BOTH a cause and an effect.  That's not fair right?!  Well, which is it?  I guess I don't know.  I am not a doctor.  I do know that the weight that I show on the scale is not congruent with my diet.  (PS...guess what another symptom of both diseases is...you guessed it...depression!)

So, when the nurse called me today to tell me the news, she said the doctor wasn't really planning any sort of treatment at this time.  She again mentioned visiting the bariatricians.  While I am bummed that my traditional doctor only wants me to fix this with gastric bypass, I still have some hope because I have an appointment with a naturopathic doctor tomorrow.  I've never been to a naturopath before.  I don't know that to expect.  From my understanding, though, I will find someone willing to look at the whole picture with me.   That's what I want...I want to explore how to get my body (and mind) healthy by taking care of the root problem...not by hacking away at my digestive system.

NOTE: I am not anti-bariatric surgery.  I think it is a wise choice for many people.  I am just frustrated that my doctor sees it as my ONLY choice. 

3 comments:

  1. So. A. I'm sorry about the PCOS, but I'm glad you have a semi-answer. I tried for years to get the diagnosis and finally found an endocrinologist who helped me go through the process of getting a diagnosis. Just getting an insulin resistance box check doesn't usually mean you can get an official diagnosis, unfortunately. But yay for answers!! B. What kind of doctor is this that you are seeing? Is it a GP or an internist maybe? When I've gone through them, I've not gotten great support about PCOS and weight loss. It was only when I go to great (and I mean GREAT) endocrinologists that I get real support. If you aren't already seeing one, I suggest asking around to any diabetics you know about a good endo. C. I have the diet my first endo (who LISTENED to me and got me the PCOS diagnosis)gave me. I haven't followed it well since I had the babies because it is TOUGH, but gosh it works when I really work hard at it. I may have even sent it to you before; I've sent it to several friends who have struggled with weight before. If I haven't, I scanned it in a long time ago and I am willing to share.

    Good luck. It's a hard thing to deal with, but just knowing more about the condition can help one come to grips with some body frustrations in a different way. Not that it's not still frustrating, but its easier to deal with sometimes when they're an established reason.

    Good luck, and please let me know if I can offer any support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was going to ask whether you had seen an endocrinologist. That would be my next step. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally agree. You NEED to see an endocrinologist. You also should consider ditching your GP. Any practitioner who immediately resorts to gastric bypass is under-educated in your options.

    ReplyDelete