Thursday, June 12, 2014

My Final Discourse On Foster Care: Another Long One

Welp folks, it's spill your guts time again on the ol' blog.  An unfortunate few of my Facebook friends knew this was coming. They've had the privilege of receiving some mini-diatribes as comments to their posted articles about foster care.  So, I am going to do this now and I'm not going to do it again....

My Final Discourse On Foster Care

First and foremost I want to say that the plight of the foster child is heart wrenching. They were born into terrible situations...through no fault of their own.  But they have had so much neglect, violence, or abuse in their lives that the state feels like it is in their best interest to break a sacred bond and allow the child to live with another family. It goes against natural and spiritual laws for a child to be removed from his or her mother and it's a sad and serious matter. Usually there have been a plethora of services offered to help the family stay intact. In general, the state does not take the removal of children lightly. I do not wish for this post to be disparaging in any way to these kids.  They are the victims of circumstances that they had zero control over and placed in a system that they have zero control in. This is not about the kids. My issue is with the experience we had as foster parents and the way we were treated by the system and by the church.

Have you ever seen an Army commercial?  Be all you can be.  Army of One.  Heartwarming images of smiling young men and women working as a team flash across the screen. But, in the back of our minds, we know what soldiers really do.  They get deployed to Afghanistan...sent to Iraq...separated from their families. Even if they don't get sent, they live with the tension that any day they could be thrust into the battle.

Recruitment for foster parents is just as misleading. We hear statistics that tug on our heart strings, "Hundreds of thousands of kids are in the system right now"..."Thousands of teens age out of the system every year"..."If every Christian family took in a child, there would be no children waiting for homes." We hear rhetoric from our faith communities, "It's the job of the church to care for the orphan"..."If we were doing our job as believers there wouldn't be a need for a foster care system"..."God adopted you, shouldn't you consider adopting a child in need."

But the reality is that our experience with foster parenting felt like a battle.  The caseworker sold us the idea of the kids like a used car dealer sells a Ford Taurus. She said they were great kids, minimized their issues, glossed over their reason for being in care, gave us hope that this would be a short placement, and completely left out VERY important details in their case. We were so enchanted with the idea that we were going to use the weapon of love to help fix something that is broken in our world...we took the kids.

In our experience love looked like strict rules, door alarms, assigned seating, explaining to a child that they had to stop using tears as a form of manipulation, mopping up pee every single day for 8 months, teaching kids about the sacredness of their bodies, problem solving, problem solving, problem solving, coming up with creative ways to teach basic social norms and teaching them over and over and over and over again, enduring screams of "I hate you! I want my mom!", and never giving any slack because if we relaxed the rules or expectations even a little, the kids saw it as weakness or instability and began to act out. That was how we were able to love the kids we had...and it sure as hell didn't line up with the recruitment messages.

And while we were in this battle, our friends, family, and faith community all but abandoned us. Friends didn't want to deal with the drama that ensued when we brought our family over. Constant correction isn't a pleasant thing to witness and most certainly isn't most people's idea of a good time. Our family wasn't there for us because they felt like we put ourselves into this situation and their advice was just to quit. If the kids went away, the drama would go away.  That brings us to the church.  We had a select handful of people who intentionally invested in our lives and for that we are deeply thankful.  However, most of the time people didn't want to hear anything negative that would soil their golden ideal of what it was like to "care for the orphan".  They put their fingers in their ears and sang "lalalalalalala".  People would bring us meals...but most of the time they handed it off and the door and bolted out of there as fast as they could...no investment, just feeding.

So, for most of the time we were foster parents we were enduring emotional, spiritual, and physical assault.  And we were doing it mostly alone...as the stay at home mom...I was mostly doing it alone. But, I BELIEVED in the cause. I blew through several stop signs that told me that this placement was all wrong for our family because I didn't want to add trauma to these children's lives. I BELIEVED that I was helping to make a difference in a child's life and make God's name known through doing so. Then, after months and months of scraping the bottom of my emotional, spiritual, and physical barrel, the placement came to a crashing end.

Have you ever been part of an exercise where you write down ten values...then you have to let go of two...then two more...and so on until you are at a point where you are asked to choose only one key value?  Choosing to end our placement was like that.  I had to, very literally, decide between two values that I held very, very dear...glorifying God by caring for the orphan or protecting my own biological children.  Behaviors that were unsafe began to show up with frequency and vigor. I just had an overwhelming bad feeling about where these behaviors were headed.  We asked for the kids to be moved.  Not a week later a big bad unsafe situation came to light and I knew that we'd made a right decision.  The kids were removed unceremoniously from our home.

Having to choose between two gut level, heart level, soul level values is excruciatingly painful. My therapist says I have a trauma response to the topic of foster care. Having been a foster parent is my 9-11. The experience has left me with wounds so deep, I will never be the same again.   I'm not the same person I was and am now on a much different path than I would have been otherwise.

Not everyone's experience with fostering is bad...or this bad...but it's been a painful experience for a lot of people.  The statistic is that 50-60% of foster parents quit after their first placement.  When I heard that statistic in training, I was a giant judgey-judgerson.  But those people who quit...most of them are good people...people who love kids...people who love Jesus...and people who discovered that foster care was not just "too hard" it was the most emotionally and spiritually expensive thing they've ever done...and they are hurting.

I don't wish (necessarily) to discourage people who desire to become foster parents. But, I think there would be a whole lot less collateral damage to kids and to families if we walked into this ministry with open eyes.  It's not just a little challenging or inconvenient, anyone who accuses you of giving up because it's too hard is putting you on a guilt trip.  Foster care is hard as hell and if you are willing to walk in that truth and to own that, knowing that it could cost you more than you agreed to pay...then go forth and serve my friend.  If, like me, your deepest desire is to serve your community for the sake of Jesus, find a different way to do that. Caring for the orphan through foster parenting is a calling...it's not meant for every ear in the congregation.  Please don't let any sentimental, emotionally wrought, Bible thumping, propaganda convince you to do something that God has not asked of you.






4 comments:

  1. Tiffany,
    I know I have said this before to you. Only you and your husband can determine what is best for your family. God knows your heart, I promise He is not upset with you for your decision.
    Foster care is not an easy road.... and the things you listed are truths. I am sorry to hear you were deserted by friends and family, I have been blessed to not have that happen .... and if it had I am sure my journey would not be on year 9.
    Keep listening to God he knows his plan for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrianne... I am thankful for families who love the work of foster care and find it rewarding. You have a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, thank you for your honesty. It's not often we hear of the difficulty of the path to show compassion, especially in ways we thought we should but where our strengths and calling didn't necessarily lie.
    I always appreciate reading your thoughts and experiences (even though I don't often comment). Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's an interesting way to look at it Sarah. "The difficulty of a path to show compassion" is a really good way to sum up what I wanted to say with this post. So many people care about foster children and have hearts that well up with compassion when they hear the recruitment information...but this is one ministry where good intentions are not nearly enough to get you through the day. It's a lifestyle...a giant change in the way you plan to live your life...just like pastors and missionaries never really get day off...neither does the foster parent. ,,I want people to understand that compassion does not equal calling.

    ReplyDelete