Thursday, April 18, 2013

How Does My Garden Grow?

"I'm an old Southern woman and we're supposed to wear funny looking hats and ugly clothes and grow vegetables in the dirt."  ~Steel Magnolias

I am neither old nor Southern and unlike my cinematic friend Ouiser Boudreaux, I LOVE to garden.  While flowers and ornamental landscaping are not really my thing, I thoroughly enjoy growing vegetables.  My dream is to eventually replace 1/3 or more of my back yard with vegetable garden space.  "What does this have to do with depression?"you might ask.  Well, let me explain.

First, having a home garden increases the availability of healthy and nutrient rich food.  I grow lots of green leafies (lettuce blends, arugula, chard, kale) which are high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber and low in calories.  This year I am adding some heirloom potatoes, pole beans, and my third (and final) attempt at my favorite herb, CILANTRO!  There are always tomatoes in my garden as well.  Many veggies are still missing from my little garden, but it's a good start.  I need tons of vegetables to keep my body and mind healthy.

Besides producing nutritious foods, my garden also provides my the opportunity to move my body in a meaningful way.  I don't like to exercise.  I WILL, however, spend 4-5 hours digging holes, removing sod, and preparing beds for my plants.  My legs, abs, and arms ache after a long day of gardening.  But, I love it and will do it again the next day without hesitation!  Using my body in meaningful ways creates balance and uses excess energy that might otherwise be spent being sad.

While I am moving my body, I am also absorbing precious, precious sunshine.  Sunlight affects serotonin production...depressed people often have low serotonin.  Working outside gives me access to this free remedy.  With regard to sun exposure and skin cancer, I have just made the decision that moderation is important.  I do not generally use sunscreen.  My skin takes sun well so I've never really needed it.  I also recently learned that it blocks Vitamin D absorption.  All people, depressed or not, need vitamin D for calcium absorption and immune system health.  Instead of sunblock I use shade and shelter to protect myself from excess sun exposure. 

I get food, I get exercise, I get sunshine...but what truly makes gardening a treasured hobby is that I see results!   Again, I am an achiever.  I delight in seeing things succeed.  When I harvest the vegetables I need for a dinner salad, I feel amazing!  I helped make this lettuce!  I contributed to the life of these tomatoes!  That's cool.  I also tend to give myself grace with the garden.  Last year my cucumbers died about half way through the year.  I didn't beat myself up.  I did what I could to make them live and it didn't happen.  Oh well.

The oddest reason that I enjoy having a garden is that it makes me feel connected to my ancestors.  Weird right?  Every time I am working in my garden my mind wanders and I begin thinking about the generations of women who came before me.  They HAD to have gardens or their families would starve.  This was their work...their vital contribution to their families.  It's a common thread of humanity.  I feel honored to join in the proud line of women who have used land to sustain life. 

This week, I excitedly anticipate the coming of sowing season.  I am neither old nor Southern...but I will HAPPILY grow vegetables in the dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment