Monday, April 14, 2014

Holy Week 2014: Passover

Princess Vespa: I am Princess Vespa, daughter of Roland, King of the Druids.
Lone Starr: Oh great. That's all we needed. A Druish princess.
Barf: Funny, she doesn't look Druish.
~Spaceballs (1987)

The Spaceballs quote above is my goofy way of broaching the awkwardness of being a Christian who celebrates a Jewish religious holiday. I have a deep respect for the Jewish faith.  Though I don't share a modern history with the Jews (I can't even pretend to understand the pain that they have gone through as a people group), we do share an ancient and Holy history. We both learn the stories of Creation, the Flood, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, David, Esther, Ruth, and Isaiah.  The first 2/3 of the Bible is (mostly) similar to Jewish holy texts.

We differ, in that, I believe that the Messiah has already come...Jews are still waiting. Christians believe that Jesus was the final and complete sacrifice for the atonement of sin. Jesus, the Son of David, the Son of God, the Messiah, participated in Passover...and fulfilled it by being the Ultimate Sacrifice that would free us from our slavery to sin and death. By His blood on our souls, God's wrath for our wrongs is pacified and we can be adopted as sons and daughters of the Creator. He even gave us a way to understand this concept within the tradition of Passover by instituting communion with the wine as His blood and the bread as His body. So, it is my belief that Passover can have a place in the rhythm of the Christian life.

I did not attend my first Seder until after I was married (so, well into my 20s). My husband and I got together with a small group of couples from our Sunday school class and went through the Passover Seder.  It was wonderful! The beautiful symbolism, the solemn remembrance, and the sensorial elements helped me find a fresh way to connect with my faith!  I left the Seder with a rekindled connection to my Hebrew ancestors and my Hebrew God.

Last year, we attended our Jewish neighbors' big Passover Seder. But, this year, my Big Boy (who has been very interested in matters of faith recently) offhandedly asked if we could have a Passover at OUR house.  I was up for it, so we invited my mom, dad and sister to join our little family for a small, intimate Passover Seder.

In the weeks before the Seder, I Googled a Christian Haggadah (order of service).  I found a really great one that not only gives the "script" for the Passover, but also gave good back-story about the traditions for those of us who did not grow up with this festival.  The Christian Seder we used basically follows the traditions of the Jewish Seder, except for the observation of the Place for Elijah. Instead of awaiting Elijah, we remove his place setting and announce that Elijah has already come and so has the Messiah.  (I think that the Haggadah we used was also shorter than a Jewish Seder because, apparently, Christians can't handle a lengthy religious exercise) ;) Besides finding the Haggadah, I had to plan out what materials I needed for the Seder, what we would eat at the meal, and various logistical things. It took hours and hours just to plan out this two hour dinner.

The day before I had TONS of tasks to tend to.  Preparing the home for Passover is a great deal work (particularly for the woman of the house). There was lots of food to cook, bones to boil, a house to clean, candlesticks to find, and elements such as charoset, karpas, and moror to prepare (and SOOOOO many dishes to wash!).  Even so, I found myself working joyfully...anticipating this sacred celebration.  My heart had a song in it and that made the work easy and fulfilling.

When my family arrived, they were seated at one of the fanciest tables I've ever set (frankly, the bar wasn't all that high, we're kinda casual around here).  But, I thought that Passover was an appropriate occasion to use a table cloth, real dishes, and crystal candlesticks (which I received from my wedding and have not used once in nearly nine years).  Each adult was given a 14 page order of service.  The man of the house, woman of the house, the children, and the attendees all have roles in the service.  Since we are Passover newbies, I thought it would be easiest for everyone if they had a "script" to follow. Mostly, since it was our first time hosting, my husband and I awkwardly bumbled through it! (It helps that there's wine.  It makes me a lot less uptight about getting it "right"!)

My family seemed to enjoy the Seder. The kids did not do well, so we just allowed them to go upstairs and play.  Big Boy stayed through the 4 Questions, which are supposed to be read by a child.  He can read now, so it was cool to see him use his new big kid skills to participate in the Seder.  At the conclusion of the meal, we agreed to hold a Passover Seder again next year.  It will be interesting to see how the meaning of the ceremony evolves as we get more comfortable with the rhythm of the Haggadah.

So, Passover 2014 is now on the books in our home.  Next year in Jerusalem!


NOTE: My heart goes out to the families of the victims of the Jewish Community Center shootings in Kansas yesterday.  I am grieved that this year's Passover festival had to be held in the shadow of senseless violence.  I'm so sorry for your loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment